The 2020 Walter Mangold Study in Australia Scholarships for
The Mangold Study in Australia 2020
- opened on Monday 3 February 2020,
- closed on Friday 21 February 2020 (5.00pm
Please note that the Guidelines may be subject to change for the 2021 round of Study in Australia Scholarships.
The Coronavirus (COVID-19) is currently having an unprecedented impact on international travel. The Walter Mangold Trust Fund has decided to suspend the start of the
2020 Study in Australia program. At this time, we do not anticipate that this will impact the Study in Australia program in 2021 and we expect that we will take applications for this round as normal.
We will continue to monitor the impact the Coronavirus has on international travel and advise of any impacts to our Study in Australia program.
Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions about our scholarship program.
The scholarship awardees from Timor-Leste will travel to
Melbourne in July 2020 and enrol in a study program consisting of one (1) week of General English, followed by twenty (20) weeks of intensive English for Academic
Applicants need to have a reasonable level of English
proficiency to complete this difficult course, taught entirely in English.
1. Who is eligible to
Applications will only be accepted from residents of Timor-Leste
- workers in paid employment with a:
- company or commercial business;
- government organisation;
- Non-Government Organisation (NGO); or a
- community organisation, and
- who have been awarded a degree or diploma from a university or
Applicants will need to obtain a Reference written on letterhead from their employer to upload with their online Application Form. The Referee must answer the following questions as part of the Reference:
- Name of the Applicant
- Name and address of the Referee
- How long, and in what context, has the Referee known the Applicant
- In the Referee's opinion, does the Applicant have the aptitude and the study skills to
undertake an intensive English language course in Australia? Give reasons for this view
- In the Referee's opinion, does the Applicant have the maturity to travel abroad and benefit
from the opportunity to study in Australia? Give reasons for this view
- Please make any other comments or observations about the Applicant that are considered
Applicants will not be accepted if they applied in 2019. They will be able to apply again in
To be eligible for a Study in Australia scholarship you must:
- Be a resident of Timor-Leste
- Have a university or college degree or diploma
- Be in paid employment in Timor-Leste
- Be able to provide a reference from your employer on letterhead
- Not have applied for a Study in Australia scholarship in 2019, and
- Submit a complete online application by the closure date.
2. When to apply
2020 online applications opened on Monday 3 February 2020
and closed on Friday 21 February 2020.
Late applications will not be
Further information for
3. What costs does the scholarship
The 2020 Mangold Study in Australia scholarship will cover the
- the application and related costs to obtain a student Visa for Australia (but NOT the cost
of your Passport)
- the course tuition fees
- one return economy air fare between Dili and Melbourne
- basic homestay accommodation organised by the Mangold
- equipment/books and essentials allowance, and
- a reasonable living allowance, paid in instalments.
4. The 2020 selection process
|Before applications open
||Organise a Reference from your
||Applicants are advised if they are
shortlisted for an interview
|6, 7 and 8 April
||Shortlisted Applicants are interviewed
in Dili and will complete and English proficiency test
||Shortlisted Applicants are advised if
they have been successful
Applicants are to request that their Referee completes a written
Reference on letterhead to be submitted with the Application form.
Applicants are to complete the online Application Form by the
closing date of 21 February 2020.
The Mangold Trust considers all received and eligible
applications. Applicants will be advised in March if they were successfully shortlisted.
Successfully shortlisted Applicants will be provided with an
appointment time for an interview and English proficiency test to be conducted in Dili between 5, 6 and 7 April.
The successful Applicants will be offered a 2020 Study in
Australia scholarship by the end of April.
At each stage of the process Applicants will be advised if they
have been unsuccessful.
5. What happens next, if your application is
If your application is successful, you will be offered a Study
in Australia scholarship and you will be required to sign a Scholarship Agreement.
The Mangold Trust has made an arrangement with the school,
EC English ("the School") in Melbourne, for scholarship recipients to study English for Academic Purposes in a supportive and effective study environment.
If you are offered a scholarship you will be assisted
- apply for a place at the
- apply for a student Visa for Australia after you receive a
Certificate of Enrolment from the School*
- attend and complete a medical
- be allocated suitable homestay
- arrive in Melbourne, Australia ready to start your English course in July 2020.
*Note that the Mangold Trust will cover the cost of the student
Visa application. You will need to have a valid Passport arranged at your own cost.
6. What are the conditions of the
The conditions of the scholarship are that
- obtain a student Visa
- must live in a homestay in Melbourne arranged by the School, or arranged with an
organisation approved by the Mangold Trust. This will provide a secure residence where meals are provided and you are encouraged to practise speaking English. The Mangold Trust will only pay homestay
expenses either to the School or to an approved organisation, and
- make satisfactory progress in your studies. The School will provide the Mangold Trust with
reports on your progress.
7. Cancellation of the
The Mangold Trust reserves the right to withdraw or terminate
the scholarship at any time if you:
- engage in serious misconduct which in the opinion of the Mangold Trust is inconsistent
with the aims of the Mangold Trust or in any other way brings the Mangold Trust into disrepute; or
- fail to make satisfactory progress in your studies; or
- do not comply with your student Visa conditions.
If the Mangold Trust terminates the scholarship, or you return
to Timor-Leste without the prior written approval of the Mangold Trust, any moneys paid in advance to you will have to be refunded to the Mangold Trust.
All enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org